Sixth Annual Bakersfield “Walk Like MADD and MADD Dash”
As detestable as it is, Kern County leads the state in DUI crashes resulting in injuries and is the second in the nation for the same statistic. That’s not good. Each year, far too many people are dying because some inconsiderate and reckless person decided to get behind the wheel while under the influence.
As of September 10, 2019, there have been 288 DUI-related traffic collisions this year alone. Moreover, 11 of those collisions resulted in fatalities.
Enough is Enough
The Kern County community has had just about enough of it. The numbers are ridiculous considering that DUIs are a 100% preventable crime. So, MADD Kern County and Chain | Cohn | Stiles are now working together to help the community put its foot down by saying “Enough is enough!” and “No More Victims!”
The sixth annual Bakersfield Walk Like MADD and MADD Dash events will be held Saturday, September 28, at Park at River Walk. The event aims to raise awareness of both the DUI issue in the community and to help raise funds for local MADD Kern County programs. The event will also help support local victims and survivors of DUI accidents.
The events have been hugely successful so far. Since the first Bakersfield Walk Like MADD and MADD Dash in 2014, MADD Kern County has received more than $300,000 in support. In what has become one of the most significant fundraising walks and runs in town, the event brings together people from our community – surviving victims of crashes, families and friends of injured and deceased victims, law enforcement and prosecutors, first responders, advocates, and other community leaders and members – to march, rally and run for the cause.
“Kern County has a serious DUI problem, and it’s going to take every single one of us to make an impact. We can come together to say, ‘Enough is enough,’ prevent future DUI arrests and crashes, and see a day with no more victims.” – Carla Pearson, MADD Kern County’s Victim Service Specialist
Sponsors of Walk Like MADD & MADD Dash
Besides Chain | Cohn | Stiles and MADD Kern County, the Walk Like MADD & MADD Dash events have several other sponsors. Some of those sponsors include:
- Kern High School District
- UBS Financial
- Sally Herald Accountacncy Inc.
- Clinica Sierra Vista
- Kern Schools Federal Credit Union
- Kern County Prosecutors Association
- Strata Credit Union
- Wells Fargo
- And more!
How Does Chain | Cohn | Stiles Get Involved?
Besides our financial sponsorship, here at Chain | Cohn | Stiles, we have been partners with MADD Kern County for several years. In fact, Attorney Matt Clark sits on the MADD Kern County Advisory Board and regularly speaks to DUI offenders during the MADD Victim Impact Panels.
Chain | Cohn | Stiles has also been recognized several times for their work on the Kern County DUI epidemic. Some examples include:
- MADD Kern County honored Chain | Cohn | Stiles with a “Community Champion” award during the 2018 Kern County MADD Law Enforcement and Prosecutor Recognition luncheon ceremony for the law firm’s work toward raising awareness locally and helping victims.
- The law firm received a nomination for the “Corporation of the Year” category for a 2018 Beautiful Bakersfield Award, which recognizes a company whose volunteer hours or financial donations have made a meaningful difference.
- Jorge Barrientos, director of marketing and public relations for Chain | Cohn | Stiles, was awarded California’s “Volunteer of the Year” award by Mothers Against Drunk Driving, California, at the “Celebrating California’s Heroes” law enforcement and community recognition event in Sacramento.