In recent years, bicycling has become more and more popular in the United States. After all, it is a convenient and inexpensive method of travel, especially in lieu of heavy traffic and parking problems. Even though most cities recognize this increase in bicycle traffic and have constructed special bicycle lanes, automobile drivers often do not respect these lanes or bicyclists’ right to share the road, which then results in more bicycle accidents.
The United States Department of Transportation statistics show that more than 8,000 bicyclists died and 700,000 were seriously injured in motor vehicle-related crashes in the past decade. Each year, more than 500,000 people in the United States are treated in emergency rooms, and more than 700 people die as a result of bicycle-related injuries.
Bicycle accidents are on the rise in Bakersfield and the Central Valley, and sadly, so are deaths. In 2016, 138 bicycle riders were killed on California roads, a nearly 25 percent increase from 2011, according to Bakersfield Police Department and the California Office of Traffic Safety. Among the main factors in these crashes were failing to yield right of way, speeding, improper turning, using the wrong side of the road, and not following traffic signs or signals.
Our lawyers have successfully represented those who have been the victims of bicycle accidents. If you or someone you know has been involved in a bicycle accident due to the fault of another, contact our law firm immediately.
Community Partner For Bicycle Safety
As part of its mission to reduce the number of accidents in our community, Chain | Cohn | Stiles has partnered for years with nonprofit Bike Bakersfield to give away hundreds of free bicycle lights and safety helmets throughout Kern County in parts of our community where bicycles are used the most – Oildale, Arvin, east Bakersfield, and southeast Bakersfield. Chain | Cohn | Stiles and Bike Bakersfield have also hosted the “Kidical Mass” bike repair, safety demonstration, a group bike ride program.
Learn more about these programs and the law firm’s dedication toward raising awareness of the importance of bicycle safety and sharing the road at chainlawblog.com.
Your Bakersfield Bicycle Accident Lawyers
If you or someone you know is hurt at the fault of someone else while riding on a bicycle, contact us at (661) 616-9829 or visit us at 1731 Chester Ave., Suite 100, Bakersfield, CA 93301-5220 today.
Bicycle Crash Checklist
- Tell the driver to stay until the police arrive. If they refuse to stay or don’t provide ID, get their and the car’s description, vehicle’s license plate # and state of issue.
- Call (or ask someone to call) 9-1-1, and ask for the police to come to the scene.
- Get name and contact info for any witnesses. Ask them to remain on the scene until police arrive, if possible.
- Ask for the driver’s license and insurance card. Write down name, address, date of birth, and insurance information.
- Ask them to take an incident report.
- Get reporting police officer’s name and badge number.
- If you’ve been doored, ask the officer to cite the motorist for dooring.
- Ask the officers to speak to witnesses, if possible.
- While a doctor’s report of your injury is important for insurance and/or legal action, you do not need to take an ambulance.
- Contact witnesses to ask them to email you their version of what happened while it’s fresh in their mind. Email yourself a description of what happened with relevant information and capture as much detail as you can.
- Take good photos of your injuries and any bike damage. Get an estimate from a bike shop before making repairs.
- Request a copy of the incident report from the police.
- Contact an attorney who has experience with bicycle accidents.
Recent Car Accident News
Chain Cohn Stiles made me feel comfortable... they did it!
Meet Marilyn Burgos, a resident of Arvin in Kern County who was involved in a car accident and received help from the attorneys at Chain | Cohn | Stiles.
Mr. Cohn took my case, within just months it was completely settled to the full amount!
Meet Loreen Stephens, a resident of Bakersfield who was involved in a car accident and received help from the attorneys at Chain | Cohn | Stiles.
Ellos siempre comunicaron todo y si les hablas con cualquier pregunta, ellos siempre te llaman los mas pronto posible que ellos pueden.
Conoce a Dolores Escamilla, un residente del condado de Kern que estuvo en accident en el trabajo, y recibio ayuda de Chain | Cohn | Stiles.
There was never a question unanswered, and I had total confidence in the way they took matters into their own hands
Meet Joe Botts, a resident of Bakersfield who was involved in a motorcycle accident and received help from Chain | Cohn | Stiles.
It's very nice to know that you have someone like Matt Clark representing you
Meet Cindee Bryan, a resident of Kern County who was involved in a car accident and received help from Chain | Cohn | Stiles.