James A. Yoro is a senior partner with the firm, where he manages the firm’s workers’ compensation practice. He is also a Certified Workers’ Compensation Professional in California, and is one of the most veteran and most respected workers’ compensation lawyers in the San Joaquin Valley.
James attended Garces Memorial High School, before obtaining his bachelor’s degree from the University of California, Berkeley and his law degree from the UC Berkeley School of Law. Following law school, he worked as a staff attorney with Greater Bakersfield Legal Assistance before joining the firm as an associate in 1982, and becoming a partner in 1987.
James currently serves as Chairman of the Board of Directors for Greater Bakersfield Legal Assistance and on the Board of Governors for the California Applicants’ Attorneys Association. James was recently installed as the Treasurer of Kern County Bar Association, and is slated to be President of bar association in 2017. He has also served as a member of the Board of Directors for Kern Regional Center.
James is also deeply involved in the Filipino community and participates in the annual Philippine Weekend festival in Delano. Learn more about his involvement by clicking here.
Over the course of his career, James has argued cases before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal and the California Supreme Court. Some of his notable results include:
- $4.5 million workers’ compensation settlement in 2010 on behalf of a farm worker who suffered brain injuries when he was struck by a truck while on his tractor. It is one of the largest such settlements in Kern County.
- $1.1 million workers’ compensation settlement in 2011 on behalf of a client who suffered head trauma and spinal paralysis when he hit head on top of truck cab.
- $1 million workers’ compensation settlement in 2012 on behalf of a client who fell from a hay squeeze and fractured his skull.
- $800,000 workers’ compensation settlement in 2015 for client who suffered neck, back and chest injuries when a drill collar fell on him.
- $700,000 workers’ compensation settlement in 2011 on behalf of a client who injured his back while lifting a machine onto a truck bed.
- University of California, Berkeley, B.A., 1975
- University of California, Berkeley School of Law, J.D., 1978
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- California Applicants’ Attorneys Association
- Consumer Attorneys of California
- National Organization of Social Security Claimants’ Representatives (NOSSCR)
- Kern County Bar Association