Matthew C. Clark is a senior partner with the firm and a rising star in the legal community of Kern County and California.
Matt grew up in Bakersfield, graduating from Garces Memorial High School. He obtained his bachelor’s degree from Loyola Marymount University, before attending law school at the University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law. While in law school, Matt was an active member of the school’s Mock Trial Competition Team. He joined the firm in 2006, after serving as a litigation associate at another local law firm for five years.
In 2011, Matt attended and graduated from the American Board of Trial Advocates’ National Trial College at Harvard Law School. He has been selected year after year as a Rising Star in Southern California by Super Lawyers Magazine, an honor bestowed upon only 2.5% of lawyers under the age of 40. Recently, he was named one of the Top 40 Under 40 Trial Lawyers by The National Trial Lawyers, and honored as one of the 20 Under 40 People to Watch by Bakersfield Life Magazine.
Currently, Matt serves as President of the Board of Directors for Clinica Sierra Vista, and also serves on the Board of Directors for the San Joaquin Community Hospital Foundation. He sits on the planning committee for Mothers Against Drunk Driving, Kern County’s annual event, Walk Like MADD & MADD Dash, and on the MADD Advisory Board.Matt is currently involved in the following high-profile cases:
- A wrongful death claim brought by the family of Nancy Joyce Garrett, who was struck and killed by a Kern County Sheriff’s patrol car while she drove home.
- A wrongful death claim on behalf of a motorcyclist who was struck and killed by a Kern County Sheriff’s deputy who failed to clear an intersection in his patrol car.
- Wrongful death claim brought by the family of a boy who died after not receiving proper medical attention at school.
- $10 million settlement in 2011 on behalf of a man who suffered serious burn injuries in an oilfield accident.
- $10 million settlement in 2016 on behalf of a man who suffered a leg amputation in a motorcycle accident.
- $8.8 million settlement in 2014 on behalf of the family of a man who was struck and killed by a Sheriff’s deputy patrol car while he crossed the street.
- $3.5 million settlement in 2015 on behalf of a man who suffered a traumatic brain injury when the vehicle he was driving was rear-ended by a truck trailer.
- $2.15 million settlement on behalf of a truck driver who suffered injuries in an industrial accident when PVC pipes fell onto him after being improperly loaded onto his trailer by the defendant.
- $6 million settlement in 2015 on behalf of a family of a man who was struck and killed by a driver while he was taking a morning jog. The driver in a company vehicle had fallen asleep at the wheel.
- $1 million settlement in 2015 on behalf of the family of a developmentally disabled man who was killed at a residential facility.
- $1 million settlement on behalf of a client who was injured when a motorist pulled directly into his path while he rose his motorcycle, causing him to crash.
- $1 million settlement on behalf of the family of a man who died during a tank explosion.
- Loyola Marymount University, B.A., 1997
- University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, J.D., 2001
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- Consumer Attorneys of California
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles
- Kern County Bar Association
- National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40
- Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Stars