10th Bakersfield Walk Like MADD – Presented By Chain | Cohn | Clark – Brings Together Hundreds, Raises Nearly $60K To Fight Impaired Driving in Kern County
More than 500 DUI crash victims, family members and friends, law enforcement officers and first responders, community leaders, and supporters came together Sept. 23 at the Park at River Walk to march, run, and call for an end to impaired driving crashes in Kern County.
This year’s Walk Like MADD & MADD Dash – presented by Law Office of Chain | Cohn | Clark and Valley Strong Credit Union – raised over $58,000 to help victims of DUI crashes, raise awareness in local schools, and help support MADD Kern County prevention programs. Since the first Bakersfield Walk Like MADD in 2014, community members have helped raise more than $600,000 for these local programs.
“These past 10 years have fueled our mission to save lives and prevent the heartache caused by impaired driving, turning compassion into action,” said Carla Pearson, MADD Kern County victim services specialist. “Together, we light the way toward a safer tomorrow in Kern County.”
Kern County ranks among the worst for DUI arrests in California and United States, with life-changing crashes taking place regularly and motor vehicle accidents spiking to record highs in recent years. In 2022 in Kern County, 50 people were killed in DUI crashes and 716 injured, according to SWITRS records.
Walk Like MADD featured an opening ceremony with statements from representatives of Mothers Against Drunk Driving, victims, and Kern County District Attorney Cynthia Zimmer, and Mayor Karen Goh, followed by a kid’s fun run, a timed 5K run, and a march by victims, their families and supporters. An awards ceremony included winners of poster contest from students at the Boys & Girls Clubs of Kern County.
Medals and trophies were awarded to the fastest runners in their respective age categories and to top fundraisers. They were:
- Top Friends and Family Teams: In Memory of Rae and Raegan Sorenson | Prayers for Jourdan
- Top Individual Fundraiser: Brandon Stallings
- Law Enforcement Challenge Trophy: Kern County District Attorney’s Office
- Corporate Challenge: Valley Strong Credit Union
- Top Male Runner: Brian Contreras, North High School
- Top Female Runner: Karly Champness, Bakersfield High School
- Kid’s Fun Run Winner: Sianna Morales
Presented by Law Office of Chain Cohn Clark and Valley Strong Credit Union, the event was also sponsored by Sikh Riders of America, Amerivet Contracting, Rain for Rent, Mission Bank and Strata Credit Union.
Below are the 5K results:
If you or someone you know is injured in an accident at the fault of someone else, or injured on the job no matter whose fault it is, contact the attorneys at Chain | Cohn | Clark by calling (661) 323-4000, or fill out a free consultation form, text, or chat with us at chainlaw.com.
- Fun event raises money for serious cause (The Bakersfield Californian – Sept. 23, 2023)
- Bakersfield community shows out for annual Walk like MADD (KGET-17 News, NBC – Sept. 23, 2023)
- MADD Kern County raises $58,000+ in 10th ‘Walk Like MADD & MADD Dash’ (Eyewitness News, Bakersfield Now – Sept. 23, 2023)
- $58K raised by MADD Kern County’s 10th annual run (KGET-17 News, NBC – Sept. 25, 2023)
- Photo Gallery by Mark Duffel
- MADD 10th annual drunk driving awareness walk (The Renegade Rip – Sept. 27, 2023)