Chain | Cohn | Clark helps raise more than $50K to help local victims of DUI crashes in Walk Like MADD & MADD Dash 5K
More than 500 Kern County community members — including dozens from the law firm Chain | Cohn | Clark — joined together Saturday morning at the Park at River Walk to help put an end to drunken driving locally, and in the process raised more than $50,000 to support victims of DUI crashes.
The Walk Like MADD & MADD Dash 5K aims to raise awareness in our own community, raise funds to stop drunken driving and underage drinking locally, and provide support to victims and survivors of drunk driving crashes. Saturday’s event brought together surviving victims of DUI crashes, families and friends of deceased victims, local law enforcement agencies and prosecutors, first responders, advocates, and other community members rallying and running for the cause.
Medals were given to the fastest runners in their age categories, with results being posted on the Bakersfield Track Club website. Awards were also given to the top fundraisers. They were:
- Top Friends and Family Team: MADD Dogs
- Top Individual Fundraiser: Michael Yraceburn
- Top Corporate Team: Kern Schools Federal Credit Union
- Kern County Law Enforcement Challenge Winner: Kern County District Attorney’s Office
“We want to thank our advocates, heroes, champions, partners, teams, participants and volunteers for making Kern County’s Walk Like MADD & MADD Dash 5K a huge success,” said Carla Pearson, victim advocate for MADD Kern County. “We hope Kern County will commit to continue alongside us for the next 365 days as we work to prevent this 100 percent preventable crime, and end drunk driving here.”
Chain | Cohn | Clark joined as the gold sponsor for the event. Several other local businesses also joined the fight to end drunk driving in Kern County, including Chevron and Kern Schools Federal Credit Union. For a full list of sponsors, click here.
The firm brought together more than 40 employees, friends and family members of employees, and a few clients of the firm, who are innocent victims of DUI crashes.
Several friends of the law firm donated to the Chain | Cohn | Clark team. Their generosity is much appreciated. They included:
- Dr. Geoffrey Miller
- Tom Stevenson
- Chad Barger
Several Chain | Cohn | Clark employees also competed in the 5K race. Attorney Matt Clark finished in 11th place overall, and a family member of a firm employee finished in the top 10. For a complete race results list, click here. Below is the top 10 finishers, and their times:
- Kelly Blikre: 20:21
- Stacy Phelps: 20:39
- Garrett Sugimoto 20:49
- Carl Hatley: 21:05
- Mark Riehle: 22:03
- Arjan Ynostroza: 22:09
- Adam Martinez: 22:12
- Garrett Rice: 22:43
- Laila Irogoyen: 23:09
- Vernie Herman: 23:12
- Kern County mothers raise awareness about drunken driving (KBAK KBFX, Eyewitness News)
- More than $47,000 raised in MADD event (The Bakersfield Californian)
- Life changed dramatically for local woman after being the victim of a drunken driving crash (Bakersfield Wellness Magazine) — Print Version Online
- Recaudación para esfuerzos contra conductores ebrios (El Popular)
- For preview coverage of the Walk Like MADD & MADD Dash 5K, click here.