July 7, 2021 | News & Media Social Share
MADD Kern County honors locals fighting against DUI crimes in ceremony sponsored by Chain | Cohn | Clark
Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD), Kern County recognized and honored our local law enforcement officers, prosecutors, and other community members for their valiant efforts in helping stop DUI crimes during the 2021 MADD Kern County Law Enforcement and Prosecutor Recognition — sponsored by Chain | Cohn | Clark.
The virtual ceremony was held June 24 and featured local law enforcement leaders, guest speakers, and award-winners. In all, more than 30 officers, personnel from the Kern County District Attorney’s Office, and others from local agencies were awarded, which included “Prosecutor of the Year,” “Top Cop,” and “Community Champion.”
“During the pandemic, our country saw an overall increase in fatality rates on our roadways despite fewer vehicles being on our roads. This was due to an increase in risky and impaired driving,” said Carla Pearson, victim services specialist for MADD Kern County. “Even during these trying times, our local officers continued to fight to keep our streets safe. For this, we are thankful and we honor these individuals.”
The top awards were as follows:
- Prosecutor of the Year: Deputy District Attorney Michelle Domino (Kern County District Attorney’s Office)
- Top Bakersfield Police Department Officer: Officer Andrew Shive with 94 DUI arrests in 2020
- Top California Highway Patrol Officer: Officer Dallas Plotner with 100 DUI arrests in 2020
- ‘Top Cop’: Officer Dallas Plotner (CHP – Bakersfield) with 100 DUI arrests in 2020
- Community Champion: 23ABC News
Watch the full virtual awards ceremony by clicking here
On average, our community sees at least 4,000 DUI arrests made each year, according to the Kern County District Attorney’s Office – that’s more than 11 DUI arrests per day. For the rate of DUI-related fatal collisions per 100,000 people, Kern County ranks highest in the state and second highest in the nation, national statistics show.
The awards ceremony is organized by MADD Kern County volunteers, and made possible by the financial support of local sponsors: Chain | Cohn | Clark, Chevron, and Sally Herald Accountancy. Funds raised assist MADD Kern County with educational programs and victim services.
The awards ceremony is one of two MADD Kern County signature events aimed to bring awareness of the DUI epidemic in our community, and fight toward ending DUI crimes locally. The 2021 Bakersfield Walk Like MADD & MADD Dash — presented by Chain | Cohn | Clark — will take place in person this year on Saturday, Sept. 25, at Park at River Walk. The event aims to raise awareness of the DUI problem locally, raise funds for MADD Kern County’s educational programs and victim services, and supports local victims of drunk and drugged driving crashes.
If you or someone you know is injured in an accident at the fault of someone else, or injured on the job no matter whose fault it is, contact the attorneys at Chain | Cohn | Clark by calling (661) 323-4000, or fill out a free consultation form at chainlaw.com.
- MADD to honor local officers, 23ABC (23ABC – June 21, 2021)
- MADD will honor law enforcement, prosecutors in ceremony (The Bakersfield Californian – June 21, 2021)
- MADD holding awards ceremony to honor locals’ efforts in stopping DUI crimes (KGET-17, NBC – June 23, 2021)
- MADD holds awards ceremony honoring locals’ efforts in stopping DUI crimes (KGET-17, NBC – June 24, 2021)