David K. Cohn is the managing partner of the firm and one of the most highly regarded trial lawyers in the San Joaquin Valley.
Year after year, he is named one of the top three attorneys in the “Best Lawyer” category by the Bakersfield Californian Reader’s Choice Poll. David has also been named a Super Lawyer in Southern California, an honor bestowed upon only the top 5% of lawyers in the region.
David grew up in Bakersfield, graduating from West High School, before going on to receive his bachelor’s degree from the University of Southern California. Shortly thereafter, he obtained his law degree from Southwestern Law School in Los Angeles. While in law school, he clerked for then Federal Public Defender, John Van de Kamp. Following graduation, David returned to Bakersfield, joined the firm and eventually became its managing partner in 2000.
David is a member of the prestigious American Board of Trial Advocates, where he holds the rank of Associate, and also serves as the Vice President for the San Joaquin Valley Chapter. He has also previously served on the Board of Governors for the Consumer Attorneys of California and as past President of the Kern County Trial Lawyers Association. Recently, he was selected to join the International Society of Barristers, a widely-respected invitation-only group whose aim it is to preserve trial by jury, the adversary system and an independent judiciary.
Over the course of his career, David has obtained numerous multi-million dollar results on behalf of his clients. Some of his more recent notable results include:
- $10 million settlement in 2011 on behalf of a man who suffered serious burn injuries in an oilfield accident.
- $10 million settlement in 2016 on behalf of a man who suffered a leg amputation in a motorcycle accident.
- $8.8 million settlement in 2014 on behalf of the family of a man killed by a Sheriff’s deputy patrol car while crossing the street.
- $6 million settlement in 2009 on behalf of the family of a man who was beaten to death by Kern County detention deputies.
- $6 million settlement in 2016 on behalf of the family of a man who was beaten to death by several law enforcement officers.
- $2.95 million settlement in 2014 for the family of a man killed when the defendant crossed a double yellow line and slammed head-on.
- $2.35 million settlement in 2014 on behalf of a man who was rear-ended by a truck at a stop.
- $2 million settlement in 2014 on behalf of a man who was crushed in an industrial accident.
- $2.1 million verdict in 2011 on behalf of the family of a man who was killed when a city worker ran over him at a local park.
- University of Southern California, B.A., 1972
- Southwestern Law School, J.D., 1975
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- Consumer Attorneys of California
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles
- Kern County Bar Association
- International Society of Barristers
- Southern California Super Lawyers
- National Trial Lawyers Top 100