Work Injury: 5 Benefits For Injured Workers
California’s workers’ compensation laws help protect workers if they become ill or injured on the job. But many people don’t realize the different benefits available to them. Here are 5 basic benefits available to injured workers.
- Temporary disability benefits are payments made to the injured worker if he or she is unable work during their recovery period.
- Medical treatment to cure or relieve the effects of the injury at no cost to the injured worker. This could potentially be a lifetime benefit.
- Disability payments may be paid on top of wages if the injury affects the worker permanently.
- Supplemental job displacement vouchers can be used to pay for educational retraining or skill enhancement at state-approved or accredited school if a person is unable to return to work.
- Death benefits are payments to a spouse and dependents if an employee dies from a work-related injury or illness. This includes burial expenses.
Remember, workers’ comp. is based on a no-fault system, which means that an injured employee does not need to prove that the injury or illness was someone else’s fault in order to receive workers’ compensation benefits.