November 2, 2016 | At the Firm , Community Service Social Share
Chain | Cohn | Clark joins first-ever Bakersfield Marathon
For the first time in the history of Kern County, Bakersfield will be host to its first-ever 26-mile marathon that will run its course throughout the Greater Bakersfield area.
The Bakersfield Marathon — scheduled for Sunday, Nov. 13 — will take participants throughout iconic areas of Bakersfield including Stockdale Financial District, Kern County Museum, Bakersfield College, and near Chain | Cohn | Clark in downtown Bakersfield, among other locations. In fact, Chain | Cohn | Clark is proud to support the Bakersfield Marathon by sponsoring a water station in downtown Bakersfield.
The marathon will also feature tons of amenities for participants, onlookers and attendees alike. Learn more about the marathon and its features below.
The marathon will begin at the California State University, Bakersfield campus, with the finish at Kern River Parkway. This USATF-certified full marathon will begin at 7 a.m. and end at 2 p.m.
The marathon will give local runners participate in a Boston-qualifying marathon in their hometown, earning an official USA Track & Field certification. Cash and other prizes will be given to marathon, half-marathon and 5K winners, including overall and age category winners.
The full event includes:
- Full marathon (26.2 miles), beginning at 7 a.m.
- Half marathon (13.1 miles), beginning at 7:15 a.m.
- 2-person half-marathon relay (13.1 miles)
- 5K fun run (3.1 miles), beginning at 7:30 a.m.
- Children’s quarter-mile and half-mile marathons, beginning at 10 a.m., for children ages 5 to 12 years old, and sponsored by the Boys & Girls Clubs of Kern County. All participants will receive a medal.
- Walker friendly course (around CSUB campus)
A festival area at CSU Bakersfield for the general public will open at 8 a.m. on Sunday, with food and beer area open shortly after. A health and fitness expo and packet pick-up event will also take place from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 12, at Buck Owens’ Crystal Palace.
Nearly 1,000 runners from 55 cities, nine states and Canada have pre-registered for the marathon, according to a report from The Bakersfield Californian. Organizers David Milazzo and Charles Brown said they expected between 1,500 and 2,000 registrants by race day. Portions of the proceeds will benefit the CSU Bakersfield Roadrunner Scholarship Fund.
- For street closures starting at 5 a.m. on race day in the Bakersfield area, click here. And to see a map of the marathon route, with street closures, click here.
- To sign up to volunteer for the event, click here.
- And to donate toward the cause, click here.
SPONSOR CHAIN | COHN | CLARK
Having been in Bakersfield for more than 80 years, Chain | Cohn | Clark is one with its community. The law firm year after year donates thousands to local causes, including several races, such as the annual Fog Run and Kern County Cancer Run. For the past three years, Chain | Cohn | Clark has been a key organizer and sponsor of the annual Walk Like MADD & MADD Dash 5K for Mothers Against Drunk Driving.
This year, we’re proud to sponsor and be a part of the inaugural Bakersfield Marathon, and helping keep runner hydrated during the race through a sponsored water station. Also, Chain | Cohn | Clark’ own marketing director Jorge Barrientos, with wife Carla, were featured on the marathon promotional video, “I’ll Be Running,” which you can see here.
We hope you can join in, too, to make the first Bakersfield Marathon a huge success.
- I’ll Be Running (Bakersfield Marathon – Aug. 4, 2016)
- City committee gets run-down on Bakersfield marathon (The Bakersfield Californian – Sept. 27, 2016)
OTHER RELATED COMMUNITY EVENTS
- Kern County calls for end of drunk driving in 2016 ‘Walk Like MADD’, presented by Chain | Cohn | Clark (Blogging for Justice – Sept. 28, 2016)
- Chain | Cohn | Clark helps raise more than $50K to help local victims of DUI crashes in Walk Like MADD and MADD DASH 5K (Blogging for Justice – Sept. 23, 2015)
- Chain | Cohn | Clark sponsored Fog Run helps local at-risk youth, victims of crimes (Blogging for Justice – Dec. 16, 2014)
- Chain | Cohn | Clark sponsors Nathan’s Army 5K in fight against pediatric brain tumor (Blogging for Justice – June 18, 2014)